Kakuro Rally is the latest spin on the logic puzzle game Kakuro, the addictive game that combines the excitement of crossword puzzles with the challenge of math and logic. And, now you can test your skills against the clock and advance to more complex puzzles as you meet the challenge.
Similar to the immensely popular Sudoku, classic Kakuro challenges players to complete a grid of numbers based on a simple set of rule:
(1) Each cell must be filled with a number from 1 to 9, inclusive
(2) The sum of the numbers entered in each run must add up to the total indicated by the number in the dark cells at the end of the run
(3) A number cannot be repeated within the same run
Here are a few helpful hints to get you started:
(1) Avoid the lure of the brute force approach. There is only one solution to each puzzle, so it may take a while.
(2) Try to deduce the combination of numbers that can fit logically into a set of cells: For instance, if you have a column with two boxes and a sum of 3, the only possible numbers are 1 and 2. If the intersecting row has 2 boxes and a sum of 4, then the only options in that row are 1 and 3. Therefore, the intersecting box must be a 1.
(3) Find the combinations with the fewest possible choices and, by ruling out numbers that could not be used, you take the guess work out of solving each puzzle.
Over time, you will become familiar with the possible combinations and find yourself quickly navigating the easier puzzles. Not to worry -- larger, more complex puzzles will be waiting to challenge you.
iPhone OS 4.x
iPhone OS 3.x